Why we wrestle:
- To improve our takedowns for Jiu Jitsu and MMA
- To be great at more than one martial art, which happens to be one of the oldest martial arts in the world.
- Because it’s fun and why not
- Be capable of defending ourselves if the need arises
- Learn new techniques.
- Do a martial art that most people in Ireland are completely unaware of.
Benefits of wrestling
- Builds cardio
- Builds strength more so than muscle
- Teaches you self control
- Brilliant for the mind
- Gateway to new friends and training partners
- Full body workout including the mind
- Builds a community based on family, friendship and respect.
- Teaches you to use your energy as efficiently as possible
- Ensures confidence
- Builds determination and motivation
- Only using body leverages and pins so no strikes
- Helps you understand why we move our bodies a particular way
- Effective form of self defense.
A typical wrestling class.
Warm up – jogging stretching, some wrestling exercises and a wrestling game.
Main technique/lesson – a double leg takedown or defense, depending on the week it could be different takedowns and escapes.
Wrestling rounds – wrestling rounds for those who are experienced enough to wrestle, nobody is made to wrestle unless both the coach and student are good to go.